The first school in Ballycurrane was originally a farm house which was owned by a man named Maurice Coughlan. It was built in the early 1840’s.
At first the school had only 4 small windows. At the road gable, there was a carpenter’s shop which was owned by a man named Troy.
It is not clear when it was first used as a school. The first entry in the boys’ register is Edmund Keating who was enrolled on June 7th 1869. Ellen Power is the first entry in the girls’ register. Her date of entry is July 3rd 1865. Fifty two pupils were attending the school in 1909.